Saturday, February 27, 2010

Dear Chipotle

Dear Chipotle,

How are you?  It’s been so long since I’ve seen you – nearly two months now.  I miss you dearly and hope you are doing well without me.

Life in Australia has been treating me very well.  I found a place to live and made a few friends, and the job search seems to be coming along well too.  The weather has been terrific and I’m working on my tan.  Everything seems to be great, but deep down, I know something is missing.

That something is you, Chipotle.  I miss you.  Kathryn and I have been trying the burritos here in Sydney, but as I expected, nothing is as delicious as you.  There are only a handful of burrito restaurants in Sydney, and I think we’ve been to all of the ones that we could find on the map.  These Aussies are cultured, but they just don’t understand the delight that Mexican food can bring.

Beach Burrito was ok, but it was a little bit dry.  Tomatillo had a roach inside the restaurant, and they didn’t use nearly enough cheese and sour cream.  Zambrero was flavorful, but their chicken tasted more like Indian curry than anything.  It definitely didn’t belong wrapped up Mexican-style in a tasty flour tortilla.  Guzman y Gomez was just confusing to me.  Their salsa tasted like North Carolina style barbecue sauce – sweet, tangy, and slightly smoky with no kick at all.  That was the extra spicy salsa.  I’d hate to taste their normal salsa.  Finally, there’s Mad Mex.  Mad Mex wasn’t bad, and I actually went back a second time to give it another go.  It’s likely the best burrito in Sydney, and if it were in the States, I’d say it was halfway decent.

But halfway decent is no substitute for utterly delicious.  Chipotle, why don’t you come here and stay a while?  We’d love to have you down under, and I really think it would be beneficial for the locals to have you here in their great country.  I promise I'll visit every week if you are here, or even more often!

I miss you.  Write back soon.

Love,
Phill

p.s.  Would you please send me a burrito via overnight airmail?  Chicken, rice, black beans, medium salsa, tomatoes, sour cream, extra cheese, and some lettuce.


No comments:

Post a Comment