Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sit Back Down, Queen

This is just so bizarre that I had to blog about it, even though I just posted a new entry yesterday.

Last night I went out to dinner with my new friends Roy and Dave from the gay Jewish group (yes, there is a group just for gay Jews here in Sydney!)  They invited three of their friends: two nice Jewish guys and one of their goy boyfriends (for those of you not of the Jewish persuasion, a "goy" is a non-Jew and the term is often used disparagingly, and I intend for it to be inferred that way here.)

We're all sitting around the table at this nice Italian/Mediterranean restaurant just getting acquainted with one another and making some small talk.  We take our sweet time looking over the menu as we chit chat.  At one point, the waitress comes over and asks if we have any questions.  The goy inquires as to whether or not the restaurant serves lasagna.  They don't.  I guess lasagna is more traditional Italian rather than Mediterranean Italian.  Whatever.

A while later the waitress comes back and takes our order, starting with one guy and going clockwise around the table.  I order the spinach and ricotta ravioli with roasted tomatoes.  It was very good, but that's irrelevant.

The goy is last to order.  He asks the waitress if they have tortellini, which apparently is also more of a traditional Italian dish because it, like the lasagna, was not served at this restaurant.

So what happens next?  Well, I guess the goy really wanted lasagna or tortellini, because he just got up and left.  Didn't even say goodbye.  He just stood up and walked off in a hurry.  His boyfriend ran after him but couldn't find him.  He must've jumped in a taxi real fast.  You might expect something like this from some bitchy 20-year old twink thing, but all of these men are in their late 30's and seem to be well-adjusted.  I guess there is an exception to every rule.

Now, I'm a foodie, but I'm a picky eater.  I won't eat beef, pork, fish, seafood, lamb, ostrich, or any other meat except for chicken and turkey, and I can't stand mushrooms, avocado, olives, tofu, asparagus, and the list goes on... If I can find something to eat - and actually have trouble deciding on what I want because of the plethora of options - well, then this bitch should've been on easy street.  There's just no excuse, unless you're gluten or lactose intolerant, which he obviously wasn't since he was craving lasagna.  So sit back down, shut up, and order something off the damn menu.

The waitress later asked if that guy was going to get a second date.  His partner embarrassingly informed her that they'd been dating for four years.  Poor fellow.

And just for you to see, here is a link to the restaurant's website and menu.  Sounds tasty, right?  He missed out.
http://www.trovatarestaurant.com.au/


2 comments:

  1. please tell me the slogan for the gay jewish australian group is "Aussie Aussie Aussie. Oy, Oy, Oy."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think so, but I'll recommend it!

    ReplyDelete