Monday, October 3, 2011

Cho Time at the Sydney Opera House

It took me over a year and a half, but I finally saw a show at the iconic Sydney Opera House.  Two shows actually!  And what a way to break my Sydney Opera House cherry:


The Just For Laughs Comedy Festival was on!  And look at that second name from the bottom:


MARGARET CHO!!!!!  MARGARET FUCKING CHO!!!!!


Oh yes, Margaret Cho was in Sydney and I got to see her perform at the Sydney Opera House!  She headlined the Friday night in the Concert Hall – the largest venue in the Opera House.  The joint was packed and every gay in the village was there to see Queen Cho.  I brought a few gays with me – and some of our fag hags as well:



And of course, we had to have some bubbly to commemorate the occasion:


This was my fourth time seeing Cho perform live and her performance was hilarious as usual.  She Australianized her show quite a bit – referencing Australian politics, headline-making Aussies, and various other cultural issues.  She basically took her normal show and tweaked it around some so it would make sense down under.  And she tweaked it just right.  My hat is off to Margaret Cho, and my abs are still sore from the laughter.

Now, why go to one show when you can go to two for twice the cost?  If you noticed, Demetri Martin’s name was also on that poster and I couldn’t pass up the chance to see him live as well.  Plus, he’s super adorable… super, super adorable… sadly straight, but you know… tequila… Anyway, his show was in the second largest venue, the Opera Theatre, and came complete with his keyboard, guitar, harmonica, and the Large Pad (just YouTube him if you don’t know why any of that is important).


His show wasn’t very Australianized at all, but he was a riot nonetheless.

Now that I’ve seen two shows at the Sydney Opera House, I can cross that off my list of things to do… and I didn’t have to sit through a boring four hour opera to do it!  Woohoo!  I wouldn’t mind seeing another show there if it was something good… and rumour has it Kathy Griffin is coming to town in November… fingers crossed the rumour is true!


No comments:

Post a Comment