Wednesday, August 1, 2012

#74: Ancona Pizzeria!

There’s only one thing on my mind more important than the fiery demise of Russia.  And that’s food.

Food!

And lots of it.

And New York proved to be a goldmine for eating.  The most important one, of course, is the one on my list of 103 Things:  Ancona Pizzeria!


Now, you are probably wondering why a random pizza joint in a random suburb out on Long Island made my list of 103 Things, alongside world famous things like The Great Wall of China and the Sydney Opera House.  There is a reason for it.  My mom grew up in Valley Stream – that random suburb out on Long Island – and she always talked about how her main hang out growing up was Ancona Pizza.  Every time we had pizza, we always heard about how Ancona was better.  EVERY TIME.  Therefore, Ancona is famous to me.  So I thought it only appropriate that I put it on my list.  And, survey says… looks good!



And tastes good!


And it’s a win!  And another one crossed off the list.  Family friend and quasi-uncle Joel and I popped into Itgen’s as well – right across the street – it was my mom’s other big hang out place growing up.  And I can only imagine it still looks exactly as it did in the 1960’s.


Back in the city, there were bagels.  Real bagels.  Delicious bagels.  First at Murray’s Bagels with Colleen.



And then at Pick-A-Bagel the next day.


There was brunch – also times two – once with Colleen, Lenora, and Sheerah at this amazing Mexican-esque place called Dos Caminos in the Meatpacking District which featured prickly pear frozen margaritas which were included in the price of brunch - $14 for food AND alcohol!  I don’t think I’m in *Kansas anymore!  (*if Kansas = Australia)





The following day, my mates David and Blake and one of Blake’s friends met me for brunch at The Standard Hotel where there was plenty of gay eye candy, a fabulous sassy waitress, and just the right amount of mimosas.




There was vegetarian night with Cousin Sharon at a place near Union Square called Zen Palate.  Adam tagged along as well!



And there was ice cream.  Gay ice cream.  And I ate Bea Arthur.  And she was delicious.



But the two biggest ones – after pizza and bagels – were SMAC – Sarita’s Macaroni & Cheese – with Jason & Sasha.  I was so excited that I started chowing down right away when the mac arrived at the table, and I completely forgot to take a picture of it.  So, I got one of Jason’s before he finished off his:



And – the classic – CHIPOTLE!


Dear Chipotle,

I missed you so much, but probably not as much as you missed me.  I was so surprised to see you now offer brown rice, though I stuck with the original white rice because brown rice seemed too healthy.  I am so glad we are reunited even if it is only for a few weeks.  I will see you again later on this trip.

Much love always,
Phill


No comments:

Post a Comment